Prince and Purple Rain : 40 Years
PUBLISHED MAY 9TH 2024
- Dimensions:254 x 254 (mm)
- 176 pages, color photos
PRINTED IN USA
Authoritatively written and including rare photography and memorabilia, this beautiful slipcased volume is the only illustrated gift book to examine Prince’s most iconic album and film, Purple Rain.
In 1984, Prince, along with his band, The Revolution, released what would become his best-selling album and a touchstone of 1980s pop culture. Purple Rain has gone on to sell 25 million copies and counting. In Prince and Purple Rain, Andrea Swensson, a Minneapolis-based journalist and host/co-producer of The Official Prince Podcast, takes a deep dive into the legendary musician’s most famous album on its 40th anniversary. Chapters cover:
- Prince’s youth and early music career in Minneapolis, as well as each of the five studio albums that preceded Purple Rain
- Prince’s backing band, The Revolution, and the backgrounds of each of its individual members, with an emphasis on the Purple Rain studio and touring members: keyboardist Bobby Z., bassist Brown Mark, guitarist Wendy Melvoin, keyboardist Lisa Coleman, keyboardist Matt Fink, and vocalist Apollonia
- Track-by-track analyses of each side
- A look at the groundbreaking film of the same name and its multiplatinum soundtrack
- Awards, accolades, and critical reception
- Prince’s legacy post–Purple Rain, up to his untimely death in 2016
Illustrated with performance and off-stage photography as well as memorabilia from top collectors, Prince and Purple Rain is a decisive and beautifully produced tribute to a legendary album from a legendary performer and artist.